Jeff Cheatham

Sunday, March 17, 2002 10:11 PM

Hey Ken believe it or not I have another testimony, My partner and I won a team tournament through Media Bass.  I am sending you my testimony along with the attached picture.

    Hey it's me again Kick'n Bass Pro Staff Jeff Cheatham form Watauga TX.  Since my fourth place finish at Palestine, I fished two tournaments in February with not much to report.  However, March is off to a great start.  I had a team tournament at Lake Lewisville on Saturday, March 9, 2002, through Media Bass.  Due to the Texas weather (sleet, rain, 35 mph north wind, etc.) I was unable to pre-fish the weekend before the tournament.  I was able to talk the boss into letting me play hooky on Wednesday to get some last chance pre-fishing done.  I had my mind set on two small pockets and one big creek.  I started out at about 8:30 a.m. and covering the water quickly, I got to my big creek.  I caught two 4lb'ers on a 3/8 oz. jig with Anise Kick'n Bass scent on it, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on big trees.  My partner Darrell Maxey showed up about that time to finish off the day but never had a bite. This was all we had to go on for the tournament Saturday.  We started out the tournament fishing in the creek I had found and at about 8:30 a.m. I caught my first fish, a solid 3lb'er. We were glad to get "Otis" out of the boat!  At about 10:00 a.m. I caught another 3lb'er.  At 11:30 a.m. my partner caught a 4'lb'er.  By now we were thinking two more fish at this pace and we might have a chance at winning this thing.  As luck would have it I pulled in another 3lb'er.  At this point we took a chance and moved to a spot where I had caught a good size fish during pre-fishing but the North wind was blowing straight into it so we went back to the creek and refished the same water we had fished all day.  Moving down the bank to the back of the creek, I pitched beside a laydown we had fished 3 or 4 other times that day.  I hopped the jig one time and felt a slight tick, I checked it and set the hook.  The fight was on.  She came out and wrapped around a branch on the log.  I was in awe.  My partner hit the trolling motor and the net and I just held pressure on her.  She finally came out and once we got her in the boat and weighed her (6.93lbs) the high fives were on.  We weren't sure what to expect when we got to weigh in.  We thought we had about 20lbs and 18lbs was in the lead.  When we put our bag on the scale it came to 22.45lbs.  Our biggest fish took 2nd place to a fellow Pro Staff Kirk Armstrong and his partner.  But our $1500.00 1st place check definitely put a smile on our faces.  We caught all of our fish off of big stumps using 3/8 oz. Triple Rattleback Jigs with black and blue pork trailers with Anise Shad Kick'n Bass on them.  There is not another fish scent like it out there!  Thanks to Ken Revell, Scientific Bass Products and Mr. Kross! 
Kick'n BassŪ Pro Staff, Jeff Cheatham